Here’s a riddle for you, dear reader. How many times does it take the Introverted Knitter to knit a @#$%ing toe for a sock? If you answered six times, you would be correct. Why did I rip and reknit a toe six times you ask? (Pretend you did ask.) Well you see it’s almost Christmas and I decided to make a pair of hand knit socks for my MIL. She has been the recipient of a few other pairs in the past, but it has been a few years since she got a pair.
Of course to get the Giant in on the action he got to help me pick the yarn. He decided on the Vesper Striping Sock Yarn in the I Heart Green colorway. Which seemed like a great idea.
- I like knitting socks
- His mom is knitworthy
- I had not had a chance to try the yarn before
- It was striped (I really enjoy the self striping/patterning yarn)
- It came in a colorway that she would enjoy.
So with yarn all wound up I was off to the races. The first sock went swimmingly. I only had to deal with the tiniest bit of fulling with a section of the yarn. I even managed to use my nifty sock ruler to get the right fit. Having completed the first sock, I showed it to the Giant for proper appreciation (he’s great at it, trust me there is something nice about having appreciation for the skill/time/labor put into anything.) As he admired it, I made the off-handed comment that the socks probably wouldn’t match, as I would have to cut out almost a full striping repeat to get back to the right color. The Giant, being The Giant, said it would be no problem to have them not match. So that is what I did. I went to cast on the second sock where I had left off and tried not to worry about the fact that they wouldn’t exactly match.
Of course as I am knitting I can’t help but look from one sock to the other. I noticed that the Fish Lips Kiss Heel that I had used for the first sock seemed to take up just about the perfect amount of yarn it would take to get me back to the right spot in the striping sequence. Naturally once I figured this out I had to rip the small amount of ribbing I had completed off the needle, wind off the yarn and start over at the same spot.
As I worked on the second sock I put in the remnants for the heel (completely missing the fact that I put them in the reverse order, but I digress) before zooming along for the foot. With the toe decreases impending I sat there smugly knitting away secure in the knowledge that these would be the best self striping socks ever (I know, I know, I was asking for what came next.
The first time I knit the toe I ended up doing the decreases the same way as I usually do them, but as I was getting ready to kitchner the toe I pulled out the first sock to examine it and discovered that I was about seven rows shorter on the second sock. I sat there for a few moments trying to think about what had happened, the only thing I can think is that I must have missed some alternate rows before the straight decreases. I decided that seven rows was just too much of a difference to not rip out and so that’s what I did.
I reknit the toe while we watched a movie, getting about 3/4 of the way through it before I realized once again I was off, although this time it was only about four rows. Okay, fine I can just pull back to the spot where I got off and restart. Figuring the problem was solved I once again started knitting the toe. Nope, this time I was even more off with about eight rows difference. Not willing to be bested by a sock I ripped back and began again, getting all the way to the end, even kitchnering the toes before I realized I was about three rows off. Now this wouldn’t have been the end of the world if I had left them that way. But, of course the toe finished on a new color and so it was glaringly obvious that they didn’t match. I tried to live with it, but realized that it was so close to being right that it would just bug me if I didn’t retry. So that is what I did. For the fifth time I ripped the toe back and carefully reknit the toe. I followed the decreases to the letter and at the end as I got to the final decreases I hit the right color at the right time and sewed them up.
What you might not be able to tell in the photo above, the ^$@%ing things are off by one row! ONE ROW! Sigh. In an effort of reducing stress I have decided to let it go and just leave them be. I even wove in the ends to reduce my ability to retry. I am going to call them good, because I refuse to reknit a toe 7 times.
Specs on the Socks:
Yarn: Vesper Striping
Colorway: I Heart Green
Pattern: My own recipe plus the FLK heel
Needles: DPNs 2.25 (US 1)
If any of you are still crafting I wish you the best of luck and from the Giant, the cats and myself I wish you all a safe and Happy Holidays.