Whew, so long 2016, right? I know I am not the only happy to see the tail end of the year.
As for tradition I decided to combine my review of goals from 2016 and a listing of the ones for 2017. Ready?
- Post more on the blog. As mentioned above there was a serious downturn in posting, to that end I am hoping to hit the post button at least a couple times a week. (status: achieved)
- Make/Finish a garment for me. I actually casted on for a Mama Vertabre back sometime in December (oops for not making a project page.) My goal is to finish it up before the end of the year. Seems easy enough. (status: achieved)
- Update Ravelry pages more. As mentioned above I am not the greatest at remember to start project pages or stash or really anything else. This year I want to try to get a better record going.(status: achieved)
- Knit from stash. This shouldn’t be too hard as my yarn budget has tanked thanks to the not working. The plus side is I will be using up all that wonderful yarn I bought and love(d) at one point or another.(status: achieved)
- Knit with my handspun. I have quite a bit of the wonderfully (and not so wonderfully) spun stuff sitting in a bin. I have the shawl that I am still working on, as well as the Giant’s mitts, but I want/need to use more.(status: achieved)
- Spin more. Along with the lack of posting, there has also been a dip in the amount of spinning I have been doing (which at least helps me out some when it comes to goal 5.)(status: achieved)
- Read 30 books. Just like my yarn and fiber stash, my book stash has quickly outpaced my reading habits. The number gives me a little less than 2 weeks to finish each book. Which should be more than enough time, even with the last few Game of Thrones books on the list.(status: not achieved. I’m not positive how many I finished, but I know it wasn’t the 30 goal.)
- Long Range Planning Box. Just like previous years, the goal is to work on a variety of stuff throughout the year so when events or holidays pop up I can just pick one out and carry on. (status: achieved)
- Indulge my art. I love to draw/sketch but haven’t really done much in the last year, and it is time to remedy that. (status: achieved)
- Finish two cross-stitch patterns. Oh yeah, I do have that as a hobby as well. You may not remember because it’s been so long since I even considered picking it up. Although that didn’t stop me from buying patterns. Two seems reasonable considering how amazingly slow I am at it. (status: achieved)
- Air the stash. In connection with keeping Ravelry up to date, I do want to do my annual airing of the stash. This always serves to remind me of the yarns I have as well as give me some inspiration.(status: achieved)
- Charity knitting. I know that my local animal shelter is often looking for small blankets to keep in the kennels, as it gives the animals something soft and familiar when they are waiting. I know when we got Toby he had a sweet little blanket that made the trek with him and it seemed to help him out. (status: not achieved.)
- Knit socks. This is a goal I seem to have every year, but this time I am going to forget about throwing 12 skeins into paper bags and instead be more deliberate with my picks. (status: achieved)
- Learn how to sew a project bag for myself. The Giant and I have a sewing machine, but I will be honest I can’t really remember how the darn thing works. (status: not achieved)
- Declutter. We have a lot of extra stuff hanging around in our home and it’s time to take a hard look at it all. (status: achieved)
- Learn to accept the fact that my life has changed. This one will probably be the hardest to work through. Chronic illness defintely caused a lot of changes to not only my life, but also how I interact with the world. I know that a lot of times people go through a grieving period and I seem to be stuck in the denial stage still. (status: sort-of achieved)
For those of you keep score at home that means I managed a score of 12.5 out of a possible 16 (that half is for the sort of achieved goal.)
So with that success in mind I turn now towards the New Year and present you with a list of my goals for the 2017 year.
- Read 20 books. This feels attainable since it works out to be about a book every two weeks.
- Knit for the Long Range Planning box. This was helpful last year and so I want to continue the trend.
- Knit one garment for the Giant.
- Learn to play the game Gin Rummy. I just feel a desire to give it a try.
- Spin 2lbs of fiber. I think based on my habits and lack of predictability with my body that this is a worthy goal.
- Continue with my gratitude journal. I started this a few weeks ago and want to keep it going. Basically taking 5-15 minutes per day to think and write down things I am grateful for.
- Continue with the limits on caffiene. I have started cutting it out after a certain time and I want to continue that trend.
- Post on the blog at least 4 times a month. I know that it isn’t a lot in terms of posting, but I have been struggling with feelings of having nothing of value to say.
- Indulge in creative pursuits. This is open to interpretation.
- Visit a National Park. Should be easy based on our new location.
- Go out on “dates” with the Giant once a month. As a homebody and someone who isn’t always feeling up to going out, I really want to try to keep this habit up. The Giant has already expressed his approval of this idea.
- Try one new activity this year. Just one new thing to expand my horizons.
- Get a local library card. It may seem small, but it is still worthy.
All of the information I have read concerning goal setting seems to indicate that having attainable goals is a big key in having success. It’s so easy this time of year to try to make goals that are essentially changing who we are as a person in one years time. This list feels like a lot, but it also feels like it is actually attainable and at the end of the day I will take that option every time.
Happy New Year from the Giant, the Furbeasts and myself. How are your resolutions or goals coming along?